The International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage (ICARD) series of conferences represent an invaluable opportunity for sharing information on current good practice, emerging technologies, on-going research, and developments in regulation. It broadens our opportunities for networking. The conference also helps to highlight advances in our knowledge as well as gaps and challenges. In this way, the conference is a significant catalyst for determining future research directions. ICARD is regarded as the leading acid and metalliferous drainage (AMD) event. It is held every 3 years and brings together mining industry representatives, consultants, researchers and regulators from all continents.
The conference involves a series of technical sessions that focus on specific acid and metalliferous drainage issues. The papers presented during the sessions are selected to represent the most current developments in the field and cover different experiences from around the world. A number of other events also take place in conjunction with the ICARD, such as field trips and specialized short courses.
As a result of the COVID-19 global pandemic, the 12th ICARD conference scheduled to be held in Brisbane in September 2021 was postponed until 2022. The time gap between gatherings was considered by INAP to be significant in terms of losing connections with industry and maintaining momentum for advancing the state of practice. To address this gap, the Virtual ICARD 2021 was held in September 2021.
The next ICARD, the 12th is planned for September 2022 and will be hosted by the Sustainable Minerals Institute (SMI) of the University of Queensland (Brisbane, Australia). Plans are for a virtual event as a result of continued uncertainties with international travel. More information is available from the conference website. The 13thICARD, planned for 2024, will be held in Canada.
ICARDs are hosted by different groups in new locations every 3 years. Below is a brief history of ICARDs:
- Virtual ICARD 2021 – hosted by INAP: September 2021
- ICARD 11 – hosted by IMWA in Pretoria, South Africa: September 2018
- ICARD 10 – hosted by SANAP and Gecamin in Santiago, Chile: April 2015
- ICARD 9 – hosted by MEND in Ottawa, Canada: May 2012
- ICARD 8 – hosted by SveMin in Skelleftea, Sweden: June 2009
- ICARD 7 – hosted by the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME) in St. Louis, USA: 2006
- ICARD 6 – hosted by the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM) and the Australian Centre for Mining Environmental Research (ACMER) in Cairns, Australia: 2003
- ICARD 5 – hosted by the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME) in Denver, USA: 2000
- ICARD 4 – hosted by the Mine Environmental Neutral Drainage Program (MEND) in Vancouver, Canada: 1997