The International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage (ICARD) series of conferences represent an invaluable opportunity for sharing information on current leading practices, emerging technologies, ongoing research, and developments in regulation. It broadens our opportunities for networking. The conference also helps to highlight advances in our knowledge as well as gaps and challenges. In this way, the conference is a significant catalyst for determining future research directions. ICARD is regarded as the leading acid and metalliferous drainage (AMD) event and provides the platform for the mining industry, consultants, researchers, technology developers and suppliers, regulators, community and NGOs to communicate their perspectives on this important topic. The conference involves a series of technical sessions that focus on specific acid and metalliferous drainage issues. The papers presented during the sessions are selected to represent the most current developments in the field and cover different experiences from around the world. A number of other events also take place in conjunction with the ICARD, such as field trips and specialized short courses.
As a result of the COVID-19 global pandemic, the 12th ICARD conference was postponed to September 2022 and was held as a virtual event. As a result of the gap between conferences, INAP hosted a Virtual ICARD 2021 event in September 2021 to maintain the momentum for advancing the state of practice.
The next ICARD, the 13th or ICARD 2024 is planned for September 2024 in Halifax, Canada and will be hosted by the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM), in partnership with INAP and the Canadian Mine Environment Neutral Drainage (MEND) program. The theme of ICARD 2024 is Impact. Innovation. Intelligence. At the time of the conference, it will be an incredible six years from the last time we met in person, in Pretoria, South Africa. The ICARD community can finally meet face-to-face to discuss real issues and find innovative solutions around acid and metalliferous drainage and its impact on the environment. More information is available on the conference website.
ICARDs are hosted by different groups in new locations every 3 years. Below is a brief history of ICARDs:
- ICARD 12 (Virtual ICARD 2022) – hosted by the Sustainable Minerals Institute (SMI) at the University of Queensland: September 2022
- Virtual ICARD 2021 – hosted by INAP: September 2021
- ICARD 11 – hosted by IMWA in Pretoria, South Africa: September 2018
- ICARD 10 – hosted by SANAP and Gecamin in Santiago, Chile: April 2015
- ICARD 9 – hosted by MEND in Ottawa, Canada: May 2012
- ICARD 8 – hosted by SveMin in Skelleftea, Sweden: June 2009
- ICARD 7 – hosted by the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME) in St. Louis, USA: 2006
- ICARD 6 – hosted by the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM) and the Australian Centre for Mining Environmental Research (ACMER) in Cairns, Australia: 2003
- ICARD 5 – hosted by the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME) in Denver, USA: 2000
- ICARD 4 – hosted by the Mine Environmental Neutral Drainage Program (MEND) in Vancouver, Canada: 1997